Book highlights, media interviews, public presentations, journalism, slam poetry, video and other select samples.
COOL JEW: The Ultimate Guide for Every Member of the Tribe
Andrews McMeel/Simon & Schuster. Author and Co-Art Director. No. 1 Amazon bestseller. Finalist, National Jewish Book Award and Wild Card Honorable Mention, New York Festival of Books, Erma Bombeck Humor Writer of the Month, University of Dayton, 2008.
HOT MAMALAH: The Ultimate Guide for Every Woman of the Tribe Andrews McMeel/Simon & Schuster. Author and Co-Art Director. No. 1 Amazon bestseller. Erma Bombeck Humor Writer of the Month, University of Dayton, 2012.
I’ve presented at more than a dozen Limmud conferences around the world, including Amsterdam, Berlin, Budapest, Atlanta, Winnipeg, Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York City and Paris. Listen into one of my first presentations of COOL JEW at LIMMUD UK, the week-long festival of Jewish learning.
Since 2015, I’ve written more than 100 pieces as a special correspondent for the TIMES OF ISRAEL, which attracts upwards of 5 million monthly unique readers. ACCESS the archive of my work here.
Recent coverage led to a reversal of governmental policy regarding immigration from Ethiopia shortly before borders closed during the 2020 corona virus outbreak.
My work has appeared in many other outlets including The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Atlantic, National Geographic, Redbook, Shape, Self, Men’s Fitness, The Jerusalem Post, Tablet, Forward, Jewish Telegraphic Agency, Associated Press, and elsewhere, with select links below.
ARTS and CULTURE COVERAGE
- “At 38th Mill Valley Film Fest, Gender is on the Agenda” Variety
- “Mill Valley Film Festival Throws Hat Into the Awards Ring” Variety
- How Son of Saul Captures the Reality of the Holocaust The Atlantic
- “Jewish Again” Moment cover story First Prize Rockower Award, for feature writing from the American Jewish Press Association
- “In Paris, Kosher Restaurants Go Rogue” Tablet
- “Louis Kahn Architectural Retrospective” Tablet
- “Painting Out of a Corner,” Hadassah magazine cover story
- Excerpts of the above article about Friedl Dicker-Brandeis (1898-1944) appear in her biography at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
- “In Israel, Where Art Imitates Messy Life” New York Times
- “Tales from the Valley”: Joel ben Izzy Forbes
- “The Shadow Life of Jews in Germany” The Baltimore Sun
Written in Jerusalem and excerpted from Hot Mamalah, “A Love Poem” won the title at the Jerusalem Poetry Slam. Adapted for four players, this piece is also the finale in a production of Jewish Women’s Theater in Santa Monica celebrating Jewish culture entitled, Matzah Ball Diaries.
VIDEOSocial Justice Project: While volunteering in Uganda in early 2020 as part of a Muslim-Jewish peace initiative called Children of Abraham, I kept hearing a song in my head… One day, I wondered what it might look like if the entire school of more than 1,000 students and our small cadre of 10 volunteers shared a call for peace in the languages that represent our respective cultures. Luckily, the schoolmaster, Adyeri Moses loved the idea. It took some practice for our group and their charges, native Rotooro speakers, to learn the lyrics in Arabic and Hebrew. But as you can see, soon the entire campus joined in, from six-year-olds to 13-year-olds, praying for mutual respect and understanding with the words, “Shalom” and “Salaam.” https://youtu.be/jyZLJ0t544w
As a special correspondent for Israel Public Television, formerly known as IBA News, I covered a wide range of topics, with select samples here:
Check back here soon for samples of original songs.